Saturday, February 12, 2011

Photo / Memo Board Wall Hanging



My darling daughter is growing up! She is about to turn 9 you know! She REMINDS me every chance she gets.

We recently repainted her bedroom from the pastel pink and green to a loud beautiful fuschia and grey.

She really wanted a photo/memo board so that she could showcase recent family photos. I was shocked surprised to see that these babies cost anywhere from $20 and up!!

UNBELIEVABLE!

Off to Goodwill I WENT  on a mission to find the perfect frame! I got lucky and found this:
A French Bulletin Board with Pockets!!

I didnt need the pocket so I took it apart...thank goodness this was easy to do. After removing the pocket, I also removed the backing:

I decided the frame needed to be pink since I plan on hanging it on the grey wall.
I used Krylon spray paint for this bad boy! I also made a major MISTAKE eek!!
I DIDN'T prime the frame!!

BIG NO! NO!

But I was in a hurry and didnt want to wait! It took almost 4 coats and I had to scrape part of it once! 
ALWAYS prime a wood surface which was previously sealed.

While the paint dried, i went to Hobby Lobby and bought some cute fabric and coordinating ribbon.
I forgot to take a picture before I attached it to the board:
Here it is already attached to the board. Frame is painted and next was assembly!
The board had a back panel with screws so I reattached them and VIOLA!
Custom Photo/ Memo Board
Let's break it down:
Bulletin Board w/Pocket   $3.99
Fabric  $.61
(i only used 1/3 of the fabric, actual price $1.83)
3/8" Ribbon  $.99 (on sale 50% off)
1 1/2" Ribbon  $1.99
Krylon Spray Paint  Free
(leftover from previous project, normally $2.79)
Total Spend  $7.58

My daughter LOVES how it turned out and I DO TOO!

I had two very helpful lessons learned in this project!
1. ALWAYS prime wood which has been sealed!
2. USE hot glue to secure the bow on the ribbon! This prevents the ribbon from slipping.

This is an easy DIY Done Dirt Cheap Craft that you can do at home! I hope you give it a try and if you need help with questions, email me! 

I linked up at:


No comments:

Post a Comment