Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dance like no one is watching....


Hobby Lobby had a MASSIVE 66% off clearance on Valentine's products this weekend and of course I had to see if there were any goodies for me!!

I found this WAY COOL sign blank!!
I knew exactly what I was going to do with this beauty!!

How LUCKY can you get to find something 3/4 of the way complete??!!!

Using my super fabulous Cricut machine and SCAL, I created a vinyl decal that says
Dance like no one is watching
I use contact paper to transfer the vinyl instead of transfer tape...it is SO much CHEAPER and easy to use for these types of projects.
(if you are making vinyl decals to sell, use transfer tape otherwise the adhesive from the contact paper will leave residue behind...big NO NO!!)

I cut the transfer tape the same size as my decal. It is hard to see in this picture but it is there!!
Contact paper is completely transparent so it makes it EASY to figure out where to place the decal.
Using my handy dandy scraper tool, I rubbed over the decal to make sure it was secure on the board.
(this picture was so hard to take!! I am not really left handed but taking a picture with my left hand was impossible lol!)

After giving the decal a good rub with the scraper, I lifted the contact paper gently away.
If the decal lifts with the contact paper, simply give it another rub, then lift again until it peels away completely.

Once I got the decal on the board, I decided it was just a little too plain!! I made a quick bow out of sheer black ribbon, then hot glued it in place.

I am SO happy with the final result. I am thinking about changing the ribbon to black satin but I haven't decided yet.

Let's break it down:
Blank Sign Board    $2.37 (originally $6.99 but 66% off)
Vinyl Decal  Free (i made it myself)
Ribbon Free (leftover from other projects)
Total Cost: $2.37

These are the kind of DIYs I love!

Now I know that some people don't have handy dandy tools and supplies lying around but scrapbook stickers or stencils would work great too.

If you have any questions about this project or any other, email me at andrea@asuniqueasu.com

No comments:

Post a Comment