Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Valentine Wreath

I am addicted to Pinterest!!
I just can't get enough of it. Valentine's day is right around the bend and of course my mantle needed a Love makeover, so, I was searching for some great ideas to add to my Valentine decor.
I found a fabulous wreath over at the Idea Room and I knew I had to make it.

It was really easy to make but a bit time consuming!! I finished it while watching 2 of my favorite one-hour length shows!! Here goes:

I bought a heart foam form at Hobby Lobby for $2.47. I even paid full price---gah--- because my phone would not load the coupon fast enough and it was my turn in line.
I already had red fleece from a few Christmas projects that never got done and I decided to try to cut the circles with my sizzix machine. I have never cut anything but paper on the sizzix but I knew I needed a lot of circles so I gave it a shot AND IT WORKED!!

You will need:
heart foam form
red fleece or felt
push pins
scissors or die cutter

Cut circles out---a lot of them---I stopped counting after 75 and each circle was 2" in diameter. I am pretty sure I used at least 100 circles so cut,cut, cut away.
Fold the circle in half, then fold it in half again. Stick the push pin through the bottom corner and insert it into the foam.


You can see above that I inserted the folded circle flat into the foam and the head of the pin is showing. Simply turn the circle inward so that the head of the pin is facing away from you and fan the circle--like this:

Continue inserting folded circles into the foam.
It quickly begins to take shape. the back of the heart will remain flat. It will look like this when you are finished:

and here is a closeup

Once I was done, I added the heart to my mantle:
I just love it. I had been complaining about having too much red on the bottom half of the mantle and not enough on the top. well the heart helped to balance the color and now I love my valentine decor.
Here are a few closeups of my goodies:
 I love this ribbon garland. I bought it at Michael's with a 40% off coupon and cut it in half so that I could string a portion of it onto each candle holder.

 I am a sucker for all things crafty. The love sign was handcrafted by a local crafter and he did a fabulous job and the cupid cutie below was also done by a local crafter. She does some crazy cool things with clay!!

I hope you decide to try your own wreath. It was easy to make and it looks sooooo good.

Let's break it down:
Foam form ---> $2.47
Push Pins ----> $1.27
Fleece -----> I had it from another project but I originaly bought it as a remnant for $2.25
Total---> $5.99!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment