Saturday, August 13, 2011

Message Center Chalkboard

So I have become overly OBSESSED with cabinet doors.
I can't get enough of them!!!

On a recent shopping trip to Ikea
---the best store in the whole wide world---
I found this beauty in the clearance area!
For $3.99 this baby was a STEAL!!!

I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it!!! I primed it first to avoid any paint adhering issues.

As you can see, I am stingy with my primer lol!
At 3.34 a can, you have to try to stretch it out for as many projects as possible, so use it sparingly.
The purpose of the prime is simply to give a dull enough surface for paint to adhere. You could sand it but that is wayyyyy too much work for me, so I prime!

Picking the right paint was super simple!! I wanted a bold red! I chose Martha Stewart LadyBug and picked up a tintable tester at Home Depot!
$2.94
  
Chalkboard paint is the next best thing to sliced bread lol. I found this great bottle at Hobby Lobby for $3.99. I will have lots of great projects from this little bottle!!
I taped newspaper on the center of the cabinet door then painted the frame red. When it was completely dry, I removed the newspaper and painted the center.

When using chalkboard paint, you have to paint in one direction, let dry, then paint another layer in the opposite direction. It was super easy and dried really fast!!
I cut out the Message Center decal myself then adhered it to the top of the frame.
I sanded the edges to reveal some of the original black paint and white primer. 

I think it looks fabulous!!

Let's Break it down:
Cabinet Door.....$3.99
Chalkboard paint.....$3.99
MS red paint.....$2.94
Decal.....$Free (I made it myself)
Primer....$Free (already had from other projects)
Total Cost---$10.92

I have so much paint left over!! I know I will use the paint on other projects. I have seen these chalkboard message centers in stores for more than $30---so---I don't mind having all of the extra paint for lots of other goodies!!!

1 comment:

  1. Too cute! I learned something as well...Didn't know to paint one way, dry, then paint the opp with the chalkboard paint! Very good to know !!!

    ReplyDelete