Sunday, December 30, 2018

Valentine’s Day craftiness

Y’all! I know Christmas just ended AND Valentine’s Day is still 7 weeks away BUT while wandering the Christmas clearance aisles at Hobby Lobby I found one of those woven baskets that EVERYONE doing farmhouse decor uses!! I am guilty too because I mean Joanna knows best right!!! I didn’t take a Picture of it before I embellished it so you’ll just have to trust me!!

I also need to apologize for neglecting the blog BUT life gets in the way of crafty goodness at times and more so over the past year! We have been in the super fast life track since our daughter got married in December 2015! The home business really took the biggest hit and then we just had to stop doing it for all of 2018! My plan is to relaunch in 2019 with a new business model but I am not holding myself wholly to that. If I don’t reopen IT’S totally OK!!

In the meantime...I have FINALLY started crafting and creating again! We have a new house and nearing the 2 year mark already!! Crazy how time just whizzes by!! I built a Shiplap entry shelf and started working on shelf decor. I have lots of plans for this space and holiday decorating but for now it’s just a little boring and just ok.

See the little basket on top! Isn’t it simple Valentine crafty cuteness!! So the weave basket was in Christmas clearance for 80% off... $5 folks...yeah $5!! It already had the black chalkboard rectangle in the center so it was my inspiration for the rest of the cuteness.

I wandered around hobby lobby for A LONG TIME and finally found embellishments to create a simple look that’s totally interchangeable with each decorating season!

Here is what I bought:
4.5 x 9.5 rectangle wood piece $1.99
wood love beads ($3.99 but 50% so only $1.99)
wood XOXO wood embellishment ($1.49)
Tuscan Red, Baby Pink, and Dragon Fruit Americana paint ($.83 each)
I already had white chalk paint from other projects
Normally I have craft paints on hand but when we sold our other house I literally packed up paints and just gave them all away!! I have been so busy with life and I NEVER replenished my supplies!! Anyway...total cost for this project including my $5 score is only $10.47!! I don't include the paint because I can use these for many many projects!!


I started off by disassembling the beads. It was really easy to take them apart since the jute was literally just a simple knot on the heart end. Then I decided on a paint pattern and got to work. I used skewers to hold the beads for easier painting. Acrylic paint dries really fast so if you don't have a whole lot of patience like me then lucky you that you won't have to wait too long to re-assemble.

Next I just put them all back together. When I put the XOXO piece on the wood rectangle, it looked unfinished so I made a quick stencil and created the border. I think it made a huge difference! I love the color pop on the wood beads for the love tassel..totally changed them up and added some valentine character for sure!!


The last step was to put it all together. My plan is to change out the rectangle center sign with each seasonal décor change SO I attached it with Velcro Tape!! GENIUS RIGHT!! The tassel is hung on a clear push pin so it is not noticeable at all!


And there you have it! Another DIY Done Dirt Cheap that is cute and multifunctional!! What have you made for Valentine's day? I have a few more things that I will be working on over the next few days! Happy Crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment