Sunday, March 6, 2011

Window Redo Complete

Earlier this week I set out on a MISSION to redo this mess!

I hated loved the curtains sooooo much and it was so upsetting to see them go (NOT!)
If you want to know more about my kitchen, I shared a story  here.

I had this stupid great idea to buy a window panel and make my own curtains.

The valances I wanted were $19.99 EACH and I needed two of them!
There was NO way I was spending 40 bucks on a set of valances.

After all.....I can sew!

WHAT was I thinking???

I had a fabulous idea to document my transformation of the panel into valances.
HA!
I cut the panel in half:

And didn't take a single other picture of the process!!!!
If you only knew the pain I went through!!!

The fruit of my labor is this:
I think they turned out pretty great despite the DRAMA I experienced making them lol!

I found a new home for hubby's root beer bottles and bought two super awesome smelling basil plants and pots.
Hobby Lobby had a WAY cool salt and pepper holder which I turned into my medicine holder!
and what you see is what I got!!!

Let's break it down:
Full size panel....$17.99
Basil plants (x2).....$6.66
Basil pots (x2).....$10.00
Medicine Holder.....$2.00
Napkin rings.....Free (already had them)
Cork Wreath.....Free (already had it)
Total....$36.65

Even though I faced some serious eyes bulging out of my head DRAMA with the valance I think it was worth it doing myself!

Here are my Lessons Learned:
1. If you are a novice at sewing, become familiar with the tension and stitch length settings BEFORE you sew lightweight, satin-like fabrics!!

2. Sometimes it's ok to spend $5 bucks on a pot when you find the perfect one! I am all for painting and decorating my own pots but these were too fab to pass up.

3. If you are going to turn panels into valances, make sure there are 2 panels in the package!!!! This is by far the most important lesson I learned. I had such a NIGHTMARE trying to match up the pockets and hems!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment